Time-Stamping Demo programs #2

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Wed May 2 14:58:05 EDT 2012

On Apr 24, 2012, at 9:11 AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> On 4/24/12 10:08 AM, Paul Dupuis wrote:
>
>> However, I'd agree with Richard Gaskin's post that a feature limited
>> demo is generally a better marketing approach than a time limited demo.
>
> I think so too. Or even just make the program slightly annoying during launch. Graphic Converter does that and its author has been supporting himself for years with it, it's hugely popular. It isn't limited in any way. He just inserts a 10 second wait after every launch before the program becomes useable. Like most people, I used the free version for a couple of years until the ten seconds got so annoying I paid up. I've been paying for updates ever since.

It is completely possible to give out a fully-featured, time-limited application that can defeat clock resets. You can store the license file in plain sight, and the user won't be able to reset their trial by deleting their license file. Nor do you need to shackle your clients with an 'always-on' internet requirement.

We have a commercial solution that includes that functionality, as well as customer analytics, CRM, copy protection, autoupdate, in-app purchasing, social networking integration, proxy server support, and more - with all cloud services hosted in a Tier 4 datacenter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_center#Data_center_tiers) . If you'd like to discuss this in depth, please contact me off-list at spicekit at canelasoftware.com.

Best regards,

Mark Talluto
http://www.canelasoftware.com