[OT] A couple of links about Gnome and usability

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Mar 23 14:19:55 EDT 2012

Peter Alcibiades wrote:

> Richard Gaskin wrote
>>
>> Like Tim noted, any user of any current major distro who prefers Gnome 2
>> can install it and use it.   Ubuntu goes so far as to make this a
>> one-click option at login.
>>

> Richard, I wish that were true, I would simply do it.  But its vanishing
> from the repositories.  I am on Debian Wheezy, and neither gnome2 nor the
> old version of gdm are options.

Then switch to Ubuntu, where it's an option at login.

Ironically, for all the flak Shuttleworth gets he seems to be doing more
for Gnome2 than the Gnome project.

> You have to compile from source to get it.

How badly do you want it? ;)

> I read on the blogs that gnome2 is vanishing from ubuntu repositories also.

Maybe, but it's there now.

The bottom line with old things like Gnome2 is that it's all open
source:  it can never die except for lack of interest.

If enough people want it, it'll be around forever.

If it's not around, not enough people wanted it.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World