MySQL standalone issues

Sieg Lindstrom sl at trackandfieldnews.com
Tue Mar 20 19:32:24 EDT 2012

Pete,

I investigated further. I found something strange. I copied the simple script below from lessons.runrev.com and put it in a button on a brand new stack. Saved as a standalone and it worked as designed.

Next I copied the button containing the working script to my existing app and saved that as a standalone. This time it didn't open the database. Instead it returned the answer error "Unable to connect to the database. revdberr, invalid database type."

What could possibly cause the same button to work in a brand new stack but not work in an old one once it's saved as a standalone? Any suggestions for what to do short of recreating a stack that has many buttons and fields?

Here is the script in the button in question.

on mouseUp
   -- use a global variable to hold the connection ID so other scripts can use it
   global gConnectionID

   -- set up the connection parameters - edit these to suit your database

   put "fake.com" into tDatabaseAddress
   put "fake_stats" into tDatabaseName
   put "fake_username" into tDatabaseUser
   put "fakepassword" into tDatabasePassword

   -- connect to the database
   put revOpenDatabase("MySQL", tDatabaseAddress, tDatabaseName, tDatabaseUser, tDatabasePassword) into tResult

   -- check if it worked and display an error message if it didn't
   -- & set the connection ID global
   if tResult is a number then
      put tResult into gConnectionID
      answer info "Connected to the database." & cr & "Connection ID = " & gConnectionID
   else
      put empty into gConnectionID
      answer error "Unable to connect to the database:" & cr & tResult
   end if
end mouseUp

Thanks,

Sieg Lindstrom