Passing parameters by reference

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Mon Mar 12 18:04:36 EDT 2012

Just weighing in here, that would be a bit confusing. Passing by reference means that the command or function has access to the variable passed to it. By passing what amounts to a statement, there is nothing for LC to manipulate on the other end. Statements have to have some place to put the results. In this case, there is no place for LC to put the statement when passed by reference.

Even a reference to an element of an array is a statement of sorts. That the command is in essence the characters for key delimiters [] doesn't change that. The array that is an element in a multidimensional array is not itself a container. The array is the container. To work with it you have to put it into it's own container then pass the new array by reference.

I hope that makes sense. At least it does to me. :-)

Bob