HELP! - Linefeeds and Mac Vs Windows

RevList RevList at CreaTECHSol.com
Sun Mar 11 23:09:03 EDT 2012

Dave Cragg <dave.cragg at lacscentre.co.uk> on March-11-12 at 5:03 PM -0700 wrote:
>If you check the file sizes you will see that the Windows one is 75 bytes bigger than the Mac one. It looks like the Mac version has either cr or lf as the line ending character and the Wind version
>has crlf.
>
>NotePad won't break text on only a linefeed character. It needs  CRLF. BBEdit will display text with either line ending. I think if you open the "Mac" version with WordPad on Windows, it will
>display as expected.
>
>If you save the files from Livecode using the "binfile" url style (or binary write), the files will be identical and have lf line endings, but probably won't display properly in Notepad. I think
>they will work as Perl scripts on either platform.
>
>I think the main problem here is Notepad. You may want to look for a better text editor on Windows. (e.g. Notepad ++ )

Thanks for the suggestions.  In fact, I use Notepad Plus and it was opening the original one saved by using file:  and it looked fine.  Perl just didn't like it.
I switched now to binfile: to save the file and NotePad still sucks, but at least my perl script is now working.
Thanks again for the support this group offers in such a timely manner.

Stewart Lynch
CreaTECH Solutions
slynch at CreaTECHSol.com
604.484.8499
Skype:StewartLynch

There are only 10 kinds of people.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.