[iOS] Suspending and quitting

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 00:09:22 EST 2012

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Gerry Orkin <gerry.orkin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've never seen an iOS app with a quit button.
>
> Same here. Nor have I seen any app that behaves differently depending on
how you leave, only if you really Quit or not.

Some apps (eReaders particularly) always return you to where you left off,
whether you leave the app by Home button, Task list, actually Quit the app
(which most people don't know how to do) and return, or turn your iPhone
off and back on again. Other apps (think games) seem to always start at the
beginning if you've turned your phone off and back on, or actual Quit, but
otherwise they too always resume if you leave them by Home button or Task
list. Some ask if you want to resume.

If you wanted to fake Resuming, when LC is inappropriately Quitting, what
about using time. Store a time and if the user comes back within a
predetermined time either automatically have your app resume or ask if they
want to.

Ironic how a program (LC) that is based on an evironment (HC) that bought
us the Home button, is having trouble dealing with a Home button.