Playing Sounds in iOS

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at me.com
Thu Jun 21 15:48:08 EDT 2012

Roger,

Try this. Open the Standalone Application Settings dialog. Click on Copy Files. Look at your list of files and/or folders. Did you add files individually? Did you add an entire folder of files? Check the paths of these files/folders? Do these paths contain any subfolders relative to your stack file? For example, if you added an entire folder containing sound files, it might be listed as "[some folder]/*". If you added individual files, they might be listed as "[some folder]/mySound.wav". If that's the case, you have to include those folder names in your code when creating the path to the files. Using "the engine folder" will not automatically add those sub folder names. So that's the first thing to check.

If that all looks good, make a slight mod to the answer command so that it's "answer tSoundFile". This way you can verify the path is what you expect it to be. In the simulator, that path will be fairly long most likely. If that path looks okay, then it may just be that the files are not compatible. Do they play okay on your computer? Verify that it's a supported file type on iOS using the list Jacque provided.

Hopefully I'm being helpful and not just causing more confusion. Sometimes I'm not very good at explaining things. Let me know if you still have questions. Also, like Devin said, the iOS file system is case sensitive, where the Mac OS file system may or may not be. So make sure file and folder names in your code match case exactly as it is on disk. I've gotten bit by that a few times.

Chris