Does a LC standalone run from a flash drive on a WIN PC

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jun 21 11:03:10 EDT 2012

Mark Rauterkus wrote:
> Does a Livecode standalone application run on a PC with WIN from a flash drive?

Indeed it does.  LiveCode apps are generally self-contained, with
everything they need in a single folder, so they can be run from nearly
anything.

In fact, one of the products I manage has an option to install to either
the user's hard drive or to a USB flash drive, so the user can take not
only their data with them anywhere they go, but also the application so
they can work on any machine available to them.

Works from network-mounted volumes as well.

One of the most frequent support questions I get from IT staff where our
products are deployed is about configuration:  they simply can't believe
that all they need to do is share the volume and it all just works.
They keep expecting some need to install DLLs all over the user's
system, and they just won't accept our simple installation guide at face
value.  They call, and I explain that's all there is to it, and once
they try it they're amazed.

We take such simplicity for granted, but apparently Win apps are still
to this day so commonly replete with DLL hell that the beautifully
self-contained nature of LiveCode apps is a rare thing, rare enough to
confuse even the most experience IT staff who insist that it must be
more difficult than we describe. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World