PNG Transparency testbed

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 01:35:57 EDT 2012

On 14/06/12 22:34, Alejandro Tejada wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Please visit this webpage that display many
> different Transparent PNG images:
>
> http://entropymine.com/jason/testbed/pngtrans/
>
> Download and import these transparent png
> into a card that have a natural background pattern
> like earth, rocks, grass, leaves, etc... and
> post a screenshot of your results.
> Remember to post your Operating System and
> LiveCode version.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Why do I feel that this sort of request; i.e. one made without any
contextualisation
and/or explanation, will not get a vast number of respondents?

THIS might help:

http://hsivonen.iki.fi/png-gamma/

For the sake of argument, something that you (Alejandro) may have
overlooked (and one
of the reasons I gave you some of my system specs on my image posting),
are the many,
many factors outwith whatever version of RR/LC somebody may be running:

1. Type of monitor (the one connected to my Linux box that I made the
example I posted was
a "special"
cheap-as-they-go-complete-rubbish-flat-thing-only-used-by-cheapjacks-like-Richmond-and-other-desperate-characters
( a CATGCRFTOUBCLRAODC monitor to you!). Currently I am at work,
my Linux box I am typing on is connected to a
CRT-no-name-picked-up-from-next-to-the-rubbish-bin-outside-Tesco-in-St-Andrews-9-years-ago
monitor (that's a CRTNNP . . .  Yeah, whatever).

And, always remember, it is not only me who has his computer(s)
connected to 'special' monitors.
Most of the end-users (punters ?) really couldn't give a "cough, cough"
about colour calibration and
so on, and use either the cheapest monitor they could lay their hands on
in "Pee Cee Mart" or the one
they have been using ever since they got a machine with Windows 3.1. We
do NOT all live in the world of milk and honey; in fact the vast
majority of the people in our world live in the world of bad water
and even worse sanitation.

2. Colour depth.

3. Colour Calibration.

4. Nature of the background image (something quick-n-dirty I downloaded
from a Google image search entitled "Autumn Leaves").

5. and so it goes, and so it goes.

More useful "guff":

http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/formats/

http://www.scantips.com/basics09.html

Having said all that, I would always favour PNGs over GIFs even if they
are bigger.

Presumably (????????) RR/LC still converts imported images into its own
sort of bitmap format . . .

LC MAGES !!!! (that means Jacques, Klaus, Richard and Co.) can you
confirm or deny the above
Please ?

Mind you, the last time I thought about that was with Runtime Revolution
version 1.1.1 on
a Macintosh running Mac OS 10.2