Password protecting a data file... how to cope with forgotten password?

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Wed Jun 13 13:51:57 EDT 2012

I believe there are entire databases of MD5 randomly generated passwords with their hashes. An ex-employee demonstrated this once by sticking in a USB key into a server we recovered from our data center running Win2k. He came back 20 minutes later with all the passwords for all the accounts on the machine. Very enlightening. I wouldn't use MD5 now for anything.

Bob