English language learners and LiveCode

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jun 12 17:25:07 EDT 2012

Richmond wrote:
> I don't suppose any business is going to feel good about the
> free-as-in-beer idea. But what RunRev have not done to my knowledge is
> some sort of outreach to try to reel teachers in.
>
> I have demonstrated RR/LC to a fairly large number of programming
> teachers and heads-of-staff at school here in Bulgaria. They have all
> expressed interest, great interest. But then gone back to their schools
> where they teach PASCAL V ('tis free my love) or C++ (endless textbooks
> on the subject).

The RunRev crew rarely posts to this user-to-user list, so the best way
to stay up on what they're doing is either to subscribe to their Twitter
feed or check out their blog - here's a sampling of EDU-related blog
posts from the last few months:

LiveCode Teacher Training Day in Edinburgh
<http://www.runrev.com/company/runrev-blog/livecode-teacher-training-day-in-edinburgh->

LiveCode Created App is no. 1 Hottest Educational App on iTunes
<http://www.runrev.com/company/runrev-blog/livecode-created-app-is-no-1-hottest-educational-app-on-itunes->

How to teach programming to students today
<http://www.runrev.com/company/runrev-blog/how-to-teach-programming-to-students-today>

Students around Edinburgh Ready to Dive into Programming with LiveCode
<http://www.runrev.com/company/runrev-blog/students-around-edinburgh-ready-to-dive-into-programming-with-livecode>

Join Us at The Education Show
<http://www.runrev.com/company/runrev-blog/join-us-at-the-education-show>

LiveCode in The Times Educational Supplement
<http://www.runrev.com/company/runrev-blog/livecode-in-the-times-educational-supplement>

>> Thus far, the best business model RunRev has been able to come up with
>> which lets them keep electricity coming to their computers and food to
>> their developers has been the one they have now.  It can probably be
>> improved on (all systems can), but a complete change of direction
>> would not be prudent without diligent, detailed research.
>
> "a complete change in direction" . . . now I wonder where that idea came
> from? certainly not from me.

My apologies.  I got distracted by the reference to the free RevMedia
edition.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World