[OT] Disappearing Disk Space Under Lion

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Tue Jun 12 13:03:21 EDT 2012

I did find one source of the disappearing disk space.  Apparently Lion
creates A partition on your system disk named Recovery HD.  As you'd expect
from the name, it provides some sort of recovery options for serious OS
problems.  On my disk, it took 650megs of space, don't know what determines
its size.

Probably worth giving up 650megs in exchange for the recovery functions,
but would have been nice to know about it.

I also got bitten by the re-opening of files "feature" today - in
Quicktime.  I switched off the option to do it in the System
Preferences/General tab but had to reboot for it to take effect.  There are
apparently ways to switch it off on a program by program basis by using
terminal commands to update preference file settings.  Would have been nice
for Apple to provide that in the application's preference settings.

I read that Mountain Lion will be available very soon - I'm very afraid….

And that Apple have decided that you may not run certain applications
(Google Maps) on your very own iPhone….

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>