Re: An iMac Screen Problem …..

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 11:43:44 EDT 2012

Since you mentioned a second display, you might try a couple things.
Disconnect the second display long enough so that your mac has to
re-configure its settings. Might force it to reset the imac screen.

Then plug the external back in and wait for it to re-config things again.

Also might simply see if you can force the old screen to a different res,
wait a few seconds then set it back.

Without a mac I can't experiment, but.. Is it possible there is a virtual
res setting? (meaning a desktop bigger than the resolution of the display)
on the mac?  I've seen such setups where you can scroll around a larger
area than is currently being shown.

There can also be quirks as far as how dual display is set up, various
modes (stretch, mirror etc) where if your external monitor is a diff res
than the native and the things go wonky, the main screen can display things
based on the settings of the 2nd monitor (so if the 2nd is higher res,
things go weird and the native displays things positionally so that some
things leave the screen)

There is of course the other option, hardware failure.  Could be a popped
capacitor or who knows (not even close to my area of expertise)

Just read BVGs response, yep, same type of theory.