Geography based game?

Larry Weaver larry at u12multimedia.com
Mon Jun 11 14:11:30 EDT 2012

Hello Folks,

First post to the list from a relatively new user.  I've been lurking
and learning for the last six months or so and I have to say that this
list is one of the reasons I purchased a LiveCode seat.  What a great
resource!  Besides, I got started in 3d years ago when the only place to
be was on a list like this one, so there's definitely a nice oldskool
kind of comfort level that you just don't seem to get on a web forum.

I've been absolutely delighted with what I've been able to do with
LiveCode so far!  I've mainly used it for some simple but custom
business type apps used at my day job (Wine buyer and merchant).  I hope
to also eventually produce some apps to help out in my freelance visual
effects work.

In the meantime, I've been tasked by a friend to help develop a
geography based game for her middle school class.  Since there will not
be an internet or wifi connection allowed, it rules out any connection
to Google maps and related data.   I'm not sure how to begin to approach
a self contained version.

The basic premise is similar to some of the flash based online geography
games.  A location is presented and the user taps or clicks  where they
believe it exists.  Points would be determined by how close the guess is
to the actual location.

Any thoughts as how to initially approach this without the use of Google
Maps or any other online content would be wonderful!

Cheers!

-- Best regards,
  Larry

  mailto:larry at u12multimedia.com

Larry Weaver
3d Generalist and Visual Effects Artist
Available in Asheville. and Beyond:. Motion Graphics - Character
Animation - Broadcast Treatments - Architectural Walkthroughs - Virtual
Set Construction and Set Extensions, - Custom Compositing , Rendering,
Lighting and Texturing - Real World Physics-based Dynamics Simulations
 From ntsc and pal to Red and 4k. Video - Film - Print - The Web