Converting a Stack to many formats starting from XML

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 12:40:45 EDT 2012

Hi Richard and Colin,

Richard Gaskin wrote

> [snip]
> Maybe, but the absence of other devs anxious to dive in to help may also
> merely suggest that such a translator has limited utility to the
> community.
> [snip]
> But LiveCode stacks are only useful when run with the LiveCode engine.

Well, that is an interesting point of view, because I see LiveCode stacks
as a set of controls (Buttons, Scrollbars, menus, images, text fields,
vector
graphics, etc...) driven by user interactions and controled by a script
language.

Under that "broad" definition we could fit most (not all) of the current
script
driven software development and document creation.

For this reason, I focus more in the similarities than in the differences
among different file formats. I want to see the day when a stack
could be exported to SVG, HTML webpages, SWF movies, PDF documents
(Jan Schenkel have already created this library), OpenOffice or LibreOffice
documents and others.

Colin Holgate-2 wrote

> [snip]
> You could choose to export a set of things from LiveCode that
> you know to be common amongst other tools, and that would
> at least give you a starting point for the interface design.
> Converting code would be tricky though, and any of LiveCode's
> custom features might be impossible to export in a way that
> other tools could make sense of.
>
> So, the main use for exporting XML might be as a way to take
> a stack and get it into an older version of LiveCode, or perhaps
> as a text file backup of a stack.

Mark Wieder wrote about using XML to convert stacks in a format
that could be used in version control systems. This would allow many
developers to work in the same stack or development project.

Al