Crashing documentation on Linux

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 02:45:11 EDT 2012

On 06/06/2012 10:54 PM, Warren Samples wrote:
> On 06/06/2012 02:36 PM, Richmond wrote:
>> At the risk of being boring I am reposting part of a message that I
>> posted under a different heading:
>>
>> An on-going problem is that the RR/LC Dictionary crashes the IDE on
>> Linux (3.5, 4.0, 4.5 at least),
>> and, at last, I have found a suitably mental workaround for this problem
>> . . . .
>>
>> Build Metacard using Jacque's 2.0.1 Metacard builder from RevOnline.
>>
>> Open your new Metacard, export the Dictionary with a suitable new title
>> into the plugins folder of your RR/LC.
>>
>> Remember to add the suffix .rev at the end.
>>
>> And, "Bob's your Uncle", you have a dictionary in the plugins folder
>> that won't crash your RR/LC IDE every time you try to refer to it.
>>
>> Richmond Mathewson
>>

> That's a very inventive fix, and I'm glad you found a way to address
> the problem. For the benefit of anyone who may see this and be
> deterred from considering Livecode under Linux, I don't have this
> issue running 4.5.3 and higher on my system running Linux. (4.5.3 is
> the earliest version of Livecode I have installed currently.)

This sort of problem is minor and should never deter anybody considering
Livecode under Linux. After all, Linux distros are, generally, Free
and on-going projects, so prone to bugs. Linux users learn to put up
with bugs, and are generally more tolerant towards them, realising
that that is the 'price' of Free software. What annoys me is when I find
bugs in commercial operating systems for which I have had to pay money;
the makers of which keep assuring us that their systems are superior to
Open Source systems; certainly, at the moment, I can see little to
justify that claim.

Anyway, having found a way to get at the Documentation without the IDE
crashing, (and to build the Metacard IDE with Jacque's 2.0.1. setup
stack takes all of 5 minutes) the problem is all but academic.

I have been deploying Livecode Linux standalones across machines ranging
from Pentium 2s right up to Dual-core monsters
running Linux for 8 years without a backward glance, and would give
Livecode on Linux a 95% rating in comparison with Livecode
on Macintosh and Windows, and a 100% rating when contemplating trying to
do the same sort of thing with Python, Ruby or anything
else.