Push notifications on the desktop?

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 7 01:00:59 EDT 2012

Hi Malte,

The traditional solution for this kind of challenge is a message queue.
Message queues have two main ways of communicating:
- a queue acts as a post-office box: the sender puts a message into the queue and the receiver comes and picks it up at its own pace
- a topic is like a radio station: the broadcaster sends its message to multiple listeners but they have to tune in to hear these messages
It may sound like a heavyweight solution, but it is rather elegant once you get the hang of it.
I feel they're not used often enough because people either don't know or are too scared to use them :-)

Queues are great for batch-processing loads of incoming data without bogging down the sender if the load is heavy.
Topics are great for keeping multiple clients updated on changes - so that's what you're looking for.
Each client publishes its updates to the topic or topics, and also subscribes to receive the update messages.
You could create a single topic for all your application's updates, or divide it up along module lines.
So instead of a topic "MegaApp" you could have separate topics for "customer" and "supplier" record updates.
And then the clients can subscribe/unsubscribe depending on which part of the user interface is visible.
Can you tell I'm a fan of message queues? :-)

A popular and open standards-based one is the free Apache ActiveMQ: <http://activemq.apache.org/>

One of its protocols is the STOMP protocol which is not that hard to implement with TCP/IP socket communication.
I wrote a LiveCode library a few years back, and it worked quite well. But I haven't yet gotten around to finishing it.

If you're interested in going this way, I'll dust it off and send you a copy.
Maybe this summer I'll find some time to publish it as open source.

Jan Schenkel.

=====
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for LiveCode
www.quartam.com

=====