[OT] IPv6

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 15:15:43 EDT 2012

On 06/06/2012 09:23 PM, Bob Sneidar wrote:
> I'm sure we will need a huge tax increase worldwide to pay for the retrofitting of everything everywhere to accommodate IPV6 too. :-)

"They" (meaning governments and big business) will always find a way to
milk the poor chaps like us at the bottom.

However, I have a cunning plan: In 2015 I will throw out all my
computers, put on sack-cloth-and-ashes, and wander the world
with an abacus and a slide-rule crying "we're doomed. we're doomed!"

Anybody on this use-list is more than welcome to join me . . . although
many of you may find the requirement of having
a typewriter, a Rolodex and a Babbage computer hanging from your neck a
turn-off.

The diet of crushed ATA hard-drives, floppy disks, Zip disks, and
non-IPv6 compatible computers may also lead to
a certain amount of vitamin deficiency.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Putting the ghastly moment off too long may be just as
counter-productive as being a too early adopter.

This, of course, refers to Mac OS Lion [managed to crash an iMac with
Lion in my local Mall today - now trying to raise some moolah],
Windows 8 and the Unity + GNOME 3 interface (plus the KDE 'thing') as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Talking about Retro: I thought I would try something, and, mistakenly,
on Xubuntu RR/LC 4.5 selected the GoRevNet plugin and
the thing loaded with the date Thursday, February 18, 2010. Although the
ting is out-of-date, I had forgotten that it was full of useful goodies,
and greeted it like an old friend.

Hey, it even contains a link to my "Expanded Distribution Builder" so
all you chaps who haven't modified your RunRev 2 setups had better
download it . . . LOL.

Oddly enough the 'Tips' section seems to have stopped functioning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway . . . another on-going problem is that the RR/LC Dictionary
crashes the IDE on Linux (3.5, 4.0, 4.5 at least), and, at last, I have
found
a suitably mental workaround for this problem . . . .

Build Metacard using Jacque's 2.0.1 Metacard builder from RevOnline.

Open your new Metacard, export the Dictionary with a suitable new title
into the plugins folder of your RR/LC.

And, "Bob's your Uncle", you have a dictionary in the plugins folder
that won't crash your RR/LC IDE
every time you try to refer to it.