'send' and behaviors

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Jun 2 20:18:45 EDT 2012

There are two problems with that description.

One is what Mark mentioned.  The default stack will change to the stack of the target object and the default card will be the current card of that the new default stack.

However, there is something else.  The word "message" should be replaced with "handler".

That is 'this stack' here refers to the stack of the sender:
send "doSomething x, the name of this stack" to card "uno" of stack "beta"

But here in card "uno" it refers to that of the target:

on doSomething x, y
	put the name of this stack
end doSomething

Dar

On Jun 2, 2012, at 4:28 PM, Graham Samuel wrote:

> It says in the LC docs for the 'send' command:
>
>> When the send command is used the stack containing the target handler temporarily becomes the defaultStack. All object references in the message are evaluated in the current context i. e. the defaultStack. Therefore references within the message that refer to "this card" or "this stack" will be referring to the card or stack where the target handler is located.
>
> I am relying on this: I have a line like this in a script on a particular card, say card "A" - in fact this line is in a behavior of the card:
>
> send "doSomething" to card "B"
>
> This works in the sense that the handler "soSomething" is executed, but if I include a line in the handler:
>
> put "This card is" && (the short name of this card)
>
> I get the name of the sending card (A), not the name of the target (B) - as a result the handler doesn't have its expected context and fails since references to (for example) fields on the card containing the handler script don't resolve properly. The handler is however also in a behavior, which has certainly been correctly associated with the target card.
>
> Am I doing something wrong, or is this an LC limitation, or is it a bug?
>
> Graham

---------------------------
Dar Scott
dba
Dar Scott Consulting
8637 Horacio Place NE
Albuquerque, NM 87111

Lab, home, office phone: +1 505 299 9497
For Skype and fax, please contact.
dsc at swcp.com

Computer programming and tinkering,
usually in supporting those developing in
LiveCode--typically by making LiveCode
controls, libraries and externals, and
sometimes by writing associated
microcontroller firmware.