Licensing & selling an Android app

Andrew Henshaw henshaw at me.com
Sat Jun 2 18:54:19 EDT 2012

Yes, free and paid versions are treated as separate apps in all the stores ive used, including both Apple and Android.  However it doesn't take very long as most of the time is taken preparing descriptions,  screen shots etc. which can be mostly the same for both versions of the app.

The actual time taken to complete the application process on any of the stores is usually very short,  its the review period that takes the time.

In my experience,  Googles Play store doesnt have a review period so its instant,  Amazon seem to take 2-3 days (ive read it can take longer but 2-3 days is my experience) while Apple take almost exactly a week for iOS apps.

You can of course distribute an Android app without a store at all if it helps.

Andy