Hypercard: the missing link to the web

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Sat Jun 2 12:02:42 EDT 2012

> The performa series was an attempt at making Apple systems to
> compete with the PC's of the time. A few were pretty good,
> but there were some pigs too. In the final analysis what
> Apple produced in an attempt to market cheap computers,
> was... well... cheap computers! Good riddance I say! I'll pay
> the extra for premium parts.

Indeed - they were not well constructed, but often they were differentiated
not just by price and poorly performing subsystems but with the included
software. In the mid 90s I was directly involved with several of those
pre-installed licensing deals with Apple.

Sadly, in that OS 8.x era, Apple began copying features from third party
products into the OS, even ones from products Apple bundled. Marketshare
shrank terribly. Vendors took huge risks on technologies that were later
killed off (hellooooo OpenDoc!).

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President