Hypercard: the missing link to the web

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 1 07:11:18 EDT 2012

It wasn't free as in open source free.  It was proprietary and restricted and
there was no way to jail break it.

The dog in the manger approach was, we don't want it, we cannot use it (eat
it) and so we will not let anyone else who could use it and make good things
out of it have it either.

They would rather kill it than let someone else do something with it.  I
fully agree - focus was essential for Apple.  But why not turn it over to
open source?  Because that way you lose control.  The dog could not eat the
hay, but would not let the horse who could eat it either.