Upgrade to Lion

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 04:57:08 EDT 2012

On 06/01/2012 02:31 AM, Bob Sneidar wrote:
> After reading that article, it reenforces this growing concern that I have that more and more people at Apple are not competent. It feels like after Steve passed that a lot of people who were not getting their way earlier are getting their way now, and screwing things up. I am probably just imagining things, but I think everyone has seen something with Lion, where they said, "Why did they do THAT??" instead of saying, "Hey, that's cool!" like we used to do.

Maybe it is what I call (slightly unfairly) the "Microsoft tendency"; a
general problem that
seems all-pervasive:

As societies and institutions become more powerful they begin to think
that they know better than the people
they serve.....

1. In Britain laws have been introduced to "protect people from
themselves", and as a result a very large amount
of individual freedom has been eroded.

2. Microsoft, and, increasingly Apple, are taking decisions about
interface design and how applications function
which, while, possibly, being forward-looking and intelligent, restrict
end-users' choices.

3. This is also happening with Ubuntu as it becomes "the Linux of
choice". Funny when you think about things,
that as something becomes "the something of choice" it starts
restricting choices.

I don't blame what is happening to the Mac OS on the fact that Steve
Jobs is dead; I blame it on the fact that
Apple has a collectively swollen head.

This has not been helped recently as Apple computers have gained a
larger market share on the back of the success
of their iPads, iPods and what-have-you.