[OT] How long before..

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Jul 31 19:42:50 EDT 2012

I like this thread (and will try to keep opinions short...).

IMO, long term, I don't think the OS developers care about legacy/power
users -- as you say, they think they know best.  Many people have carelessly
tossed around some variation of the Gretsky quote "Don't skate to where the
puck is, skate to where the puck will be."  The OS developers all think they
know where the puck will be, but leave the legacy users questioning whether
they're even playing the same game.  I have no clue, but have to think there
must be *some* logic involved somewhere.

Re: Flash, I totally agree.  I've said before, I think Adobe made a mistake
with ActionScript 3 and its complexity, because they killed the
approachability of Flash and pushed it toward seasoned programmers (in an
attempt to change its perception as a "real" programming environment,
according some accounts).  Colin may have a different take on this.  Of
course, the point is now moot.

In any event, to bring this slightly back on topic, I'll also say again that
I think the Flash paradigm had it right: describe objects with low weight
vector information, and render the results with bitmap style effects.
LiveCode can more or less do this now, and hopefully, with some
enhancements, we'll be able to take advantage of this structure and continue
playing the game with the OS developers, regardless of screen resolutions or
missing menu options.

But keep it easy to use.  And get it done tomorrow.  And fix the bugs that
are important to me.  :-)

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director