[OT] How long before..

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Tue Jul 31 18:39:19 EDT 2012

I was talking with Chris about this base on:

1) Mountain Lion now tries to do automatic tasks, like download stuff when
the lid is closed and you're on battery power, thus killing your battery
without you knowing. And now with Gatekeeper complaining about anything you
try and install-- and wt–, iCloud is just amazingly bad. Docs in iCloud now
automatically 'sync' but if you open a Mac doc created on on an iPad, it
will lose formatting, then SYNC, and kill all the formatting from the
original-- and amazingly there's no cloud backup (like DropBox does). And
nope, there's still no "Save As.." because Apple believes they know better
than us when to invoke that command. All in all-- stuff to be wary of.

2) Win 8 is having similar huge issues. They're trying to 'out think' the
users creating all sorts of problems. Reviews for Windows 8 seems to be
more bad than good.

3) We're starting to 'remember' the 'last great version' of programs like
Photoshop, etc..

So, I'm wondering... how long before we quit upgrading everything and start
sticking to a single legacy OS and/or programs? For instance, even though I
own the latest version of Flash, I still enjoy using Flash 5 for
diagramming, wireframing and creating 'blueprint roadmaps.' At what point
do the OS'es get so much in the users way that they're no longer good for
us legacy power users?

Just wondering... not predicting.. yet.

--
Chipp Walters