The Screen Density Conundrum

Ken Corey ken at kencorey.com
Tue Jul 31 04:19:49 EDT 2012

I'll vote for scaling upon first load.

We've forgotten something here. When we get away from being tied to
pixels, we can give our users more choice.

My 72 year old father will want the chrome of an application (as well as
the content) visually much larger on the screen (pixel density and
screen size notwithstanding) than I would...and my 9 year old son, with
incredibly sharp eyes, can make out the pixels on a retina screen.

So, conceptually speaking here, we'd need to add a parameter to the end:

objSize = ((orgObjSize * screenSize)/pixelDensity) * userPreferredSize

As I have started using reading glasses, and my eyes get worse, this
will become ever more of an issue, I suspect.

-Ken