Old timey data entry GUI problem

Ken Corey ken at kencorey.com
Sun Jul 22 10:29:21 EDT 2012

I'm not sure what kind of tourney you've got there, but why in heaven's
name do all 4 numbers have to be entered each time?

Surely the id is known before-hand...and likely the table and partner
number too, otherwise how is this event scheduled?  All of this should
be entered before the event happens, I'd have thought.

So really, the only thing that needs to be entered is the points.

Now I'm just thinking out loud here...but what's your point range? Is
there a limited number of points that could be scored? Is there a chance
this could be done on a slider?  Even if not, a single entry is not as
painful as entering 4 numbers.

Further, why does it have to be a page per entry?  Why not a table
format so that the data entry person doesn't have to leave a page?

Finally, with a table format I'd forgo the mouse altogether.  When the
data entry person presses <enter> in any of the fields, that row of the
table could be submitted or stored.

The bigger question in my mind though is how are all these tallied at
the end?  4 people entering numbers means 4 computers, perhaps all
reporting the results to a web server? Do the numbers need to be
communicated between computers so that the data entry person on computer
1 see what is entered on computer 2?

How were you thinking of tackling the data gathering once entered?

I know it's sacriledge to say so here, but what about the data entry
people each entering the scores into an excel spreadsheet, and then the
4 spreadsheets be joined at a single computer?  Lower tech than a
custom-written solution, but all data entry folks know how to run Excel,
and how to copy/paste from 4 sheets into one.

-Ken