RevMobile: Native controls

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Sat Jul 21 21:58:40 EDT 2012

On 22/07/2012, at 10:34 AM, Chipp Walters <chipp at chipp.com> wrote:

> I typically think either we're designing for Tablets or Phones-- but not
> for both at the same time. Most devs I've seen tend to develop 2 different
> apps if they need to support both.

I think that's unnecessary. Most of your code can go in a main stack and libraries and then you just show the appropriate substack (tablet or handheld). I think this simple concept could be part of a framework.

> If you're designing just for phones, then this works great. And same is
> true for tablets. Tom McGrath III suggests working with an all square
> layout, this way you can have two cards, one for portrait, the other for
> landscape. I believe this is an excellent idea and should work
> spectacularly with this framework.

I initially thought along these lines. Actually I was thinking a substack for handheld portrait, handheld landscape, tablet p.... Etc. But then I thought about the complexity of maintaining state when you just rotate which for anyone who has done android dev in java will know is a huge issue. You would have to copy content of fields etc so it's not ideal. So now I think just handheld and tablet substacks with orientation handled on a single card. This could mean introducing and removing significant UI components and changing the resize behavior of ones that stay on screen.

Cheers

Monte