The future of LiveCode

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 23:13:03 EDT 2012

Hi All,

I started with HyperCard in a Mac Plus, then MacIIsi
and later a Power Mac 7500. (I am not counting the
PowerBook with a 68040 procesor)
After I migrated to Windows, I found MetaCard, the
antecesor of Livecode, but... What did you think
it was the most fundamental difference between
MetaCard and HyperCard?

The User Levels:
http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.03/03.10/HyperCardProgramming/index.html

" Hypercard appears superficialy as a simple program because
most of its structure and functionality is hidden from the user.
There are 5 user levels within Hypercard. The top most level,
and easiest to use, is Browsing. This allows the user to navigate
through Stacks and look at information but not to add or modify it.
The next two levels Typing and Painting allow the user to add or
modify written and graphic information. The last two levels are
Authoring and Scripting. Authoring allows use of the Field and
Button tools and Power Keys (short Cuts). The Scripting level
allows full use of the Hypercard programming language called
Hypertalk, and the use of instant commands called “Blind Typing” "

To learn and use this platform effectively, every inventive user and
professional developer must "wrap" their minds around the programming
style of this platform.

I believe that in HyperCard, the 5 levels made possible to advance
each one in their pace, without "jumping" around and leaving deep
gaps in the overall understanding of the platform.

MetaCard, Revolution, RevMedia and Livecode brings the user (inmediatly)
to Level 5 (Scripting) without a more detailed training in the other equally
important "Levels" of programming in this platform.
Browsing - Typing - Painting - Authoring - Scripting

Al