Threading or similar in LiveCode

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Fri Jul 20 11:49:15 EDT 2012

I am not sure this will help, but I came up with the idea of having a separate standalone do certain tasks for me. For instance, I noticed that an animated GIF would stutter and stall while Livecode was executing script. I wanted it to be smooth. I wanted some kind of progress indicator while I ran off and set up the environment, opened databases, etc.

What I came up with is a standalone that accepted Applescript commands. I could show, hide, launch, quit, relocate the "window" and set the message, all through Applescript.

I will say that LC could definitely use some native method that would allow communications from one standalone to another, and that would go a long way to solving this threading problem. If you could include custom standalones that you could control and get data back from, you could fairly mimic threading or multiprocessing at least, and it would be multiplatform, which my solution is not.

Bob