[OT] Easily run PostgreSQL on a Mac

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Thu Jul 19 18:51:09 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 7:37 PM, Dr. Hawkins <dochawk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Peter Haworth <pete at lcsql.com> wrote:
> > I think that mySQL server is bundled in with OS X too?
>
> Until Lion.
>
> As of Lion, PostgreSQL is included with lion--which makes me wonder
> what the point is in this app . . .

Well...

1 - It makes life easier for those using versions older than Lion. Bundled
psql is 8.4 and this is 9.1 and you can't really update the bundled version
because there is no package manager.

2 - PostgreSQL version is more up to date

3 - This app will update automatically (don't know about the bundled
postgre version)

4 - This is self-contained so it is easier to manage

http://www.andregarzia.com -- All We Do Is Code.
http://fon.nu -- minimalist url shortening service.