Sharing mobile app data with friends

Richard Miller wow at together.net
Mon Jul 16 09:27:54 EDT 2012

I'm looking for ideas on how to allow an app to share data between
friends. For example, if someone has a picture on their phone they want
to share with another, how can this be done elegantly and simply,
directly from inside the app? Obviously, they can send it via SMS, but
that takes place outside the app. Email can also be used, but that lacks
elegance.

One option would be for the app to maintain a list of the user's
friends, perhaps referenced by some phone-specific ID. The app can then
send a picture to another by storing the pic on my server under the ID
of the friend, which is then retrieved by the friend via the server. Is
there any such built-in ID to work from, or do I need to assign ID's?

Any other ideas on how to accomplish this? I don't want to rely on some
external shared app like Facebook or Twitter.

Thanks.
Richard Miller