[OT] Between the lines of the previous post.

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Jul 15 14:10:00 EDT 2012

A post tells a story.

Conceivably, all stories could begin with the Big Bang, but for most
stories the very beginning of all things isn't relevant to the point, so
the storyteller trims the telling to the relevant parts.

With posts, I find it easier to read them when they're pruned to include
only the relevant portion of the preceding comment.

If the author made a mistake and pruned too much, or I just want some
further background on the top, the archives are always just one click away.

As for order, Citizen Kane and some other good stories are told well
starting with the ending.  But few stories benefit from that.  I prefer
to read a reply which includes the portion being replied to before the
reply itself.

This also makes it easier to exercise judgement about pruning, since of
course we want the reader to be able to move past the old stuff and get
to the new stuff as soon as practical for the communication at hand.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems