validating "per use" licensing

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 11:35:13 EDT 2012

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 7:15 AM, Richmond <richmondmathewson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Presumably it is "Dr Hawkins", although Dr Hawkins seems not to understand
> how
> to use titles, as one only puts "Esq." (notice the full-stop)

Someone lost mine while quoting.  See the unquoted signature below.

> after the name of somebody
> who is male, over 21 and does NOT have a doctorate (or, in the case of a
> physician, an MB).

In the United States, it is put after the name of all admitted
attorneys (we don't have a solicitor/barrister distinction).

Whether you don't use the Dr. if an Esq., or don't use the Esq. if a
Dr., seems to have a split of opinion.

If you want to toss in *everything, it's

Dr. Richard Edmund Stephen Hawkins, J.D., Ph.D., Esq.

> On writing to somebody who has "Esq." after their name one usually begins a
> letter:
>
> Dear Mr XXXX
>
> Although my inclination in the case of somebody who seems to be trying to be
> pompous by
> putting "Esq." after their own name (which one doesn't do; one calls oneself
> "Mr" and they address the envelope "Richmond Mathewson. Esq.") is to address
> them in one of the

If I filed a pleading *without* the Esq. in the name in a court that
wasn't familiar with me, it would probably trigger a check by the
clerk to see if I was a lawyer.

And clients expect it; send a letter without one and they ask why the
other lawyers have it and you don't . . .

OTOH, I've never introduced myself as "Dr. Hawkins" outside of an
academic setting.  (however, I'd likely do so in response to an M.D.
who introduces himself as "Dr. Smith."  I'm a real doctor, not a
physician, and don't have the inherited inferiority complex (oddly
mixed with a God complex) that comes from the modern M.D. being a
watered down thing designed with the explicit purpose of borrowing the
respect/prestige/not-killing-people of the doctors of the university.
Having taken out one of the two key features of what "doctor" meant
for a couple of thousand years, they progressed to claiming to be
"real doctors." [note:  some are, but most have never *contributed* to
knowledge])

This account is dochawk instead of hawk for the simple reason that
early gmail required at least 6 characters, and my students were
already receiving email from a dochawk account at Penn State.

--
The Hawkins Law Firm
Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
HawkinsLawFirm at gmail.com