which Linux?

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 4 02:59:06 EDT 2012

I have never, ever had to have a user change permissions in a terminal.
Never.  And this goes back around 10 years.

What does sometimes happen is that when an email attachment arrives, and the
user saves it to another folder, it may be marked read only.  Or, when
he/she opens such an attachment in OpenOffice it will be opened as read
only.

So then they just use the file manager to change the permission.  Why would
you have them use a terminal?  I do myself but why put ordinary people
through it any more than you would in Windows? Or in OpenOffice they do save
as.

Yes, you have to explain this.  I just tell them it may seem a bit
irritating, but its just the system being paranoid about security, and
no-one has ever been bothered by it.

Needing to change executability is very very rare, because of course all
application installations are being done through the package manager.
Livecode apps are different in this respect.  Presumably when people package
their Livecode Linux apps for distribution they include a shell script which
does all this stuff....?

Peter

slylabs13 wrote