which Linux?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jul 3 14:19:58 EDT 2012

stephen barncard wrote:

 > On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 6:29 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >
 >> For development, obviously Ubuntu simply because it's the largest
 >> audience by far.
 >>
 >> But for demo, I would suggest Linux Mint.  It's based on Ubuntu
 >> and very easy to use, with a pleasant UI that folks tend to like
 >> right off.  But more important for LiveCode is that it doesn't
 >> use a global menu bar, Ubuntu's Launcher, or other Ubuntu-specific
 >> things that LiveCode doesn't support well right now.
 >>

 > Richard, which desktop do you prefer, MATE or Cinnamon?

Being an Ubuntu fanboy, I like Unity.  I think Gnome Shell has a lot
going for it too, and the gestalt of its appearance is very appealing.
But I think Unity is a much bolder experiment.

Unity still has a couple of rough edges for my tastes, but after
participating in the Ubuntu Developer Summit in May I'm very impressed
with how the project's coming together.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World