OT: Any conference fotos?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Jul 3 13:02:26 EDT 2012

On 7/3/12 3:30 AM, Tiemo Hollmann TB wrote:
> Are there any (private) conference fotos or OT stories from behind the
> scenes of the conference (what happened after the conference at the bar?)

I wrote this to a friend. I don't really know if the other conference
was for golfers but I claim artistic license:

***

I was at the RR conference in Atlantic City, which had ended that
afternoon, and I was due to leave the next morning. The storm arrived
with hurricane-force winds, torrential rain, impressive lightning, the
tornado sirens went off. About 12:30 AM the power went out. I figured it
was time to go to bed. I hadn't had more than 4 hours sleep any night
for a week so that was okay.

The next morning the power was still out. The hotel had 2 conferences
going on, some golf thing and ours. There were hundreds of people
wandering around in pitch blackness in this giganormous, maze-like
hotel, feeling our way down the corridors, taking wrong turns, looking
for the lobby. Everyone was using their i-things or Androids as
flashlights. It was like the Overlook Hotel in the Shining only without
the creepy lady in the bathtub. The maids were standing motionless in
the corridors with their little cleaning carts, looking completely at
sea, not knowing what to do. None of them went into any of the rooms,
they just stood there like deer in the headlights.

The masses converged at the main lobby which was teeming with people
wanting to check out, only the computers were dead and the staff were
writing down credit card numbers and names on paper. The air
conditioning was out and everyone was sweaty. Most of the RR people were
going to check out anyway but the golf people and vacationers were
leaving early. Chaos ensued. The hotel was located in the middle of
nowhere outside Atlantic City and the only place to eat was their
restaurant, which had no coffee and no hot food. The backup generator
was running the elevators and a single light at one of the main corridor
crossings, but we all wished they'd turn off the elevators and turn on
the coffee pots. It turned out okay though, because even a box of
Kellogg's cereal cost ten bucks there, and they were putting out
everything they had available for a free breakfast. The ad-hoc buffet
was comprised of anything that didn't require cooking, served on plastic
plates -- bread, juice, yogurt that would spoil anyway if someone didn't
eat it, cake, cookies, milk. I had cranberry juice and a piece of cake
for free. I still was dying for coffee.

Four of us left on a shuttle to the Philly airport and as we went
through Atlantic City we saw cars crushed under fallen trees, houses
completely covered by massive branches, power out everywhere, roads
blocked, power lines down. I heard later 2 kids were killed there while
camping nearby when a tree fell on their tent. The damage was
impressive, and the heat wave was rolling in. I was glad I was cutting out.

Got to the airport and came home. Those golf guys were probably pissed off.
***

At the restaurant/bar, Andre told some hilarious personal stories in the
way only he can do. We shared slightly off-color jokes and had giggling
fits. Some people got pretty drunk. Heather sat in my lap one night
because there were no more chairs available. Mark came to dinner once
barefoot, which is against the law in the US, but none of the hotel
staff noticed. There was much interest in my new e-cig because I could
no longer be found standing outside all day by the ashtray. The boat
cruise was amazing, even when Kevin was driving, which was mildly
disconcerting because he doesn't drive a car. Mark and Elanor weren't so
sure the boat was a good idea but they both felt somewhat better after
finding a place to sit down.

The best part was the people, the comaraderie, the sharing, the
friendliness, the group spirit, the bonding. Really, if you have never
been to one of these conferences, you simply must go. There is nothing
like it. Jo has a real talent for organizing and the conferences always
go so smoothly you'd never guess all the work she's put into them to
make them so special. But they always are. I think this was the best one
yet, in spite of the technical problems, but then, I always say that.
They just get better and better.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com