Android: List Field and Native Scroller

Ralph DiMola rdimola at evergreeninfo.net
Mon Jul 2 21:18:31 EDT 2012

Dan,

     Ok... Finally got the Android simulator working and things are humming
along.  Next question/issue...

     I have a list field in a group with a native scroller attached to the
group.  I have a mouseDown handler in the list field dealing with when the
user taps a line.  However, when you attempt to scroll the group (in the
simulator) it doesn't scroll -  it just highlights the line and the
mouseDown fires.  iOS doesn't react this way (perhaps because of the
delayTouches property in the iOS native scroller).

History...
I had created a scroller for desktop, iOS and Android. Worked great on
desktop, but had trouble getting the false hit vs. no hit when tapping
perfected. Just then the native scrollers came into being. I left the old
code there with some constructive "if the environment is "mobile" then" and
also implemented the native scroller.

         Is there a way around this?  I know there must be...  How do you
get it to scroll when it should scroll, and "tap" when it should tap?

I found that if I stored the current milliseconds while scrolling is
occurring and made sure that 250 milliseconds have passed since the last
movement it worked. And I mean perfectly. I have had no false taps or missed
taps since. In fact it is as good as it gets from the user experience.
(Thanks RR!!!!)

If anyone else has made it work without the .25 second test, please chime
in.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
rdimola at evergreeninfo.net

Ok... Finally got the Android simulator working and things are humming
along.  Next question/issue...

I have a list field in a group with a native scroller attached to the group.
I have a mouseDown handler in the list field dealing with when the user taps
a line.  However, when you attempt to scroll the group (in the simulator) it
doesn't scroll -  it just highlights the line and the mouseDown fires.  iOS
doesn't react this way (perhaps because of the delayTouches property in the
iOS native scroller).

Is there a way around this?  I know there must be...  How do you get it to
scroll when it should scroll, and "tap" when it should tap?

As a side question:  I am looking for a good Android device to test with.
If you were looking for a good overall Android device - just for testing
(you already have iPhones and iPads up the kazoo) - what would you
recommend?  I was thinking of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.  Any advice?

Thanks in advance,
-Dan
preferences: