database write error

Mark Smith Mark_Smith at cpe.umanitoba.ca
Tue Jan 31 22:34:28 EST 2012

Peter Haworth-2 wrote

> so I just have to:
>
> put buildValuesClause(globaldate,tmaternalname,tmaternalphin,<etc>) after
> tSQL
>
> I put that together before I knew  revexecuteSQL substitution deals with
> all that and more but it kinda works for me.

Smart. Sounds like the direction I will be heading in once I have a better
handle on this. I hate dealing with all of that syntax. Yuck. At present I
control the content of most of the fields pretty rigorously through a custom
parameter cAllowedCharacters (and a bunch more, I put the code in a behavior
and will post it on the forums at some point as a validation/entry routine
for db fields) but there were a few fields where things could creep in. One
is the "note" field... I just urlencoded that one (thanks Mike!). The other
was an options field that had as an option HSC Women's (the name of a
facility) where the apostrophe occurred. I could have just removed it but it
was not the first time I had encountered that problem so I thought... hmmm,
time to figure out what is going on here. The escape trick worked great for
that situation. But at some time in the future a custom handler to deal with
all of this is definitely the way to go.

-- Mark