Cloning stack reset object IDs?

Pete pete at mollysrevenge.com
Fri Jan 27 02:06:25 EST 2012

Hi Marty,
I just cloned a datagrid to see what would happen.  I'm afraid all the
control ids just carried on from the last one used in the original datagrid
so using clone doesn't help.

I also tried copying a datagrid from its original card to a card in a
different substack.  The control ids in the copied datagrid were way lower
than in the original datagrid (back down in the 1300 range) so that may be
a good way round this, although there are probably other complications I
haven't thought of.

I guess that's all expected behavior since IDs are numbered consecutively
within a stack (I think).

Don't have DGH so don't know what the cloning chamber does - sounds vaguely
Frankensteinian to me!

Pete

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Marty Knapp <martyknapp at comcast.net> wrote:

> There has been talk about datagrids possibly running out of object IDs
> after a while. I'm wondering what happens when you clone a stack with a
> datagrid - does that buy you back anything? If not, I assume that using the
> "Cloning Chamber" in the Data Grid Helper plugin would give you a fresh
> start? The reason I ask is that I've been doing a lot of testing with large
> data sets in the IDE and thought that maybe when I'm ready to deploy the
> app I should give it a fresh data grid stack. Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Marty Knapp

Pete