Prototyping

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 21:39:19 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 4:10 AM, Richmond <richmondmathewson at gmail.com>wrote:

> What I fail to understand, is, having bothered to take the trouble to
> build a "prototype"
> in Livecode (especially one that does all that you want it to), what
> possible advantage
> can there be to then move to some other language/RAD/whatever to build
> "the real thing"
> when you already have it in Livecode?
>
> Unfortunately your car making is a good analogy because at the top of the
list of things you don't get from LC that you'd get from Xcode for instance
would be speed.

Make me a 64bit multi-threaded app in LC and maybe the prototypers will go
away. Games immediately come to mind. I'm sure you could quickly prototype
them on LC, but for those graphically intensive behemoths, LC hasn't got a
chance.

And talking of threads, returning to the thread from whence this came, if I
NEED a particular iOS UI widget that LC doesn't have, should I tender out
and hope to find the one or two LC GUI gurus who can create a simile, or
tender out to the hoards of iOS programmers out there and get it native.
The answer probably depends on my budget, the audience for my app, and
expected ROI.

I imagine there are few people on this List who have something that LC
can't do which they wish it could, I seem to remember someone wanting to
edit the Application Menu. For most of use, we might be able to live with
that limitation, and do without. For other, it may be a must have feature,
which means they have to finish their project in another language.