Prototyping

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 16:57:45 EST 2012

On 01/19/2012 11:38 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
> Richmond-
>
> Thursday, January 19, 2012, 12:10:35 PM, you wrote:
>
>> What I fail to understand, is, having bothered to take the trouble to
>> build a "prototype"
>> in Livecode (especially one that does all that you want it to), what
>> possible advantage
>> can there be to then move to some other language/RAD/whatever to build
>> "the real thing"
>> when you already have it in Livecode?
> I think that's exactly the point where we might quibble with the
> language in the article - LC isn't a build-it-once-and-then-toss-it
> sort of prototyping tool the way that Balsamiq is.

http://www.balsamiq.com/

"Mockups reproduces the experience of sketching interfaces on a
whiteboard, but using
your computer, so they're easier to share, modify, and get honest
feedback on."

What a load of cod!

Note the loaded language; "get honest feedback" - and what, pray tell,
will make feedback
their way, in some way, more honest than, say, my scribbling something
with a pencil and paper
in a restaurant?

"Wireframes made with Mockups look like sketches, so stakeholders won't
get distracted by
little details, and can focus on what's really important instead."

Umm....yummy.

let's paraphrase that:

'Whatevers made with our product look like sketches, so suckers only see
what you want them
to see, rather than staring developing ideas that are a pain in the bum
to what you are pushing.'

-----------------------------

Mind you, I do like their "kitchen tablecloth" background graphic . . .  :)

However, I am not going to buy into something on the basis of some
cod-language and a
rather nice check design.

-----------------------------

"People love us, and we love them back!"

seriously odd language for a website pushing software. Why does it make
me think of 'Village People'
in what Dame Edna Everage terms 'a spooky sort of way'?

"Mockups runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux via Adobe Air"

This should serve as a merry warning to RunRev about dependency on other
people's stuff
(which may, after all, go bottom-up at a moment's notice); read
"Quicktime dependency" here guys.

Above all; what on earth is the point of buying something that is, in
its own words, a fancy way
of producing a whiteboard diagram, when Livecode can "go the whole hog"?
And, come to think of it, I've got two 3 metre by 2 metre whiteboards in
my school that I can draw all over until the cows come home.