Jolt Award

Pete pete at mollysrevenge.com
Thu Jan 19 15:15:39 EST 2012

I don't disagree with you, just saying that there are users out there who,
consciously or unconsciously, judge part of the quality of an app by the
"state-of-the-art-ness" of its ui.

Apple and Microsoft will continue to evolve their user interface whether we
like it or not.  A prime example of that is the new scrollbar look in Lion.
 Personally, I prefer the old look but as time goes by, people will expect
their apps to use the new scrollbar.

Pete

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Joe Lewis Wilkins <pepetoo at cox.net> wrote:

> Speaking from the perspective of someone who likes to get work done: I
> feel that too many innovations in the user interface can be a major
> turn-off. My favorite CAD program uses many of the same tools that were a
> part of the original MacDraw program; greatly enhanced and more powerful,
> but much the same. So I get work done without learning a bunch of new stuff
> all the time.
>
> Hey there are lots of people out there like me and familiarity is a strong
> factor in "acceptance". When I first became enchanted with the Mac it was
> largely because all of the apps that came out were similar enough so that I
> already knew how to use 90% of a new one. Even LC, has adhered to this
> approach (mostly). When it doesn't is when I start disliking it. I've begun
> to "dislike" a lot of things in many apps. Even LC. Give me a break. I'm
> pushing 80. (smile)
>
> IMHO,
>
> Joe Wilkins
> Architect and sometimes programmer
>
> On Jan 19, 2012, at 11:00 AM, Pete wrote:
>
> > I agree. Speaking from the perspective of a Mac user, it's impossible to
> > build an app whose ui doesn't look dated.
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 8:36 AM, Mark Wieder <mwieder at ahsoftware.net>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Native widgets would be nice on the desktop, too, but I'm not holding
> >> my breath.
> >>

> > --
> > Pete
> > Molly's Revenge <http://www.mollysrevenge.com>