Prototyping

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 15:10:35 EST 2012

I had a look at the Jolt thing.

As it says, Livecode is good for prototyping insofar as one can get
something working
very very quickly indeed in Livecode.

What I fail to understand, is, having bothered to take the trouble to
build a "prototype"
in Livecode (especially one that does all that you want it to), what
possible advantage
can there be to then move to some other language/RAD/whatever to build
"the real thing"
when you already have it in Livecode?

Surely all that 'prototyping' really is, is another way of saying 'alpha
version',

and, surely what one does with an alpha version, is one refines it,
tweaks it, polishes it,
and generally poshes it up until one has, through various beta cycles of
development,
a finished product?

------------------------slightly tendentious simile
follows--------------------------

If I carve a motor car out of soap it is, in some way a 'prototype'
(i.e. it superficially resembles
the exterior of what I intend my car to look like), although it stands
no chance of being refined
to anything more than shampoo.

Running up a 'prototype' in Livecode is most definitely NOT at all like
carving a model of
a projected car out of soap. A prototype in Livecode is far more like a
set of wheels, a chassis
and an engine; from which one can go on to develop the whole car.

Presumably the only people who are going to get offended by the word
'prototype' are
the ones stuck in the cars of soap mentality, which I very much doubt
most computer
developers are.

Richmond.