iOS: performance issues with visual effects

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at me.com
Tue Jan 17 15:27:23 EST 2012

Working on an iPad app that uses visual effects in a few places to make things a little more pleasing for the user. But I'm noticing some strange lags between the time I tap and the time the effect actually happens.

For example, in one place I have a text field set up with several different "links". The user taps a link, and then a "window" pops up to show a definition of the tapped word and play an audio file. When I show/hide the "window" I'm using a dissolve visual effect:

	show/hide group "window" with visual effect dissolve very fast

The effect happens, but sometimes there is a 2 or 3 second delay between the tap on the screen and the change on the screen. There is some code that runs inside a linkClicked handler before the group is shown, but nothing that should take that long. And if I remove the visual effect, the "window" displays almost instantly. Something is occurring as part of displaying the visual effect that is taking longer than expected.

So the question is, is there anything I can do to improve this? I've already set the layerMode to "dynamic" where appropriate, but this doesn't seem to make much difference in this case. Maybe I haven't set the property on the correct objects? Some visual effects seem to work just fine, like the basic push and reveal effects. But I have also noticed this somewhat with the curl effects. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions to improve performance?

Currently working on an iPad 1, btw.

Thanks,
Chris

--