Menu Builder

Pete pete at mollysrevenge.com
Thu Jan 12 14:01:24 EST 2012

Yes, that fixed it, thank you!

I searched the obvious places in the dictionary but couldn't find any
reference to this, maybe I'll add a user comment to the mouseDown entry.

I guess there are still a couple of issues I'll have to deal with.

There's more than one menu I have to dynamically adjust so I need to figure
out in the group's mouseDown handler which menu was clicked.  I tried using
the short name of me, the short name of the target, and the mouseControl
but none of them tell me which button was clicked.  How do I figure that
out?

The other issue is what needs to be done for Windows.  I think I'm right in
saying that the mouseDown event will reach the menu bar group if there is
no mouseDown handler for the button itself - right?

Pete

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM, J. Landman Gay
<jacque at hyperactivesw.com>wrote:

> On 1/12/12 11:33 AM, Pete wrote:
>
>> Hi Peter,
>> Yep, it should work, that's what's so frustrating.  Even weirder still is
>> that if I send a mouseDown message to the File button from the message
>> box,
>> everything works just fine, just not when I click on the File menu!!!!!
>>

> I'm pretty sure this is in the dictionary somewhere. On OS X, a mousedown
> is never sent to a menu button, only to the menu group. It's been that way
> forever and has something to do with what the engine needs to do to create
> a system menu (where there aren't really any "buttons" per se.)
>
> Move your mousedown handler into the menu group, do all menu changes in
> there, and it will work.
>
> --

Pete