[ANN] Alpha Twitter Support

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Wed Jan 11 20:57:13 EST 2012

Folks,

I know this has been delayed forever but the time is upon us to have
Twitter-enabled apps. During the last conference, I demoed a very
simple twitter library but did not share it because it relied on some
command line tools that were only available on Mac OS X. It took me a
while to find the time and solution to create a cross-platform library
but I think I've made it.

It was my wish to polish, test and document it before releasing
anything but I know some people here need this stuff, so if you are
not afraid of bugs and diving into badly designed code, hop to
http://hg.andregarzia.com/livecode-socialsuite and download a fresh
copy of the repository. There will be three new files in it:

lib.aag.outh.livecode - a simple OAuth 1.0 library. Just enough to work.
lib.aag.twitter.livecode - a VERY ALPHA library for twitter. There is
enough code there to update the user status.
SimpleTweet.livecode - a simple example that posts to the user status.

I need to test this library. I also need to document it and make it
easier to use but that may take some time and I don't want to delay it
anymore. To use this library you will need to register at
http://dev.twitter.com to get your consumer key and secret. You will
need to know OAuth and Twitter API to use this library. I will make it
easier shortly but right now it is a very low level library (but hey,
it works!)

I only tested on the desktop but it should work with mobile too. This
library is different than the facebook library. The fb library has
some revBrowser/iphoneControl code in it to present the authorization
screens. The current OAuth and Twitter combination of libraries has no
such thing. You need to build your own browser window and pass the id
to the library. I may or may not implement automatic browser creation
but I thought it was best to release now than to wait for me to
implement everything.

Twitter API can answer in JSON and XML formats. You can use Mark Smith
libJSON or my libJSON (Marks library is better) or you can use XML and
be happy.

The OAuth library is FOSS under the terms of the BSD license, so you
can do whatever you want with it.

The Twitter library is dual licensed. It can be used under the terms
of GPLv2 or you can donate to me to have a commercial license to close
your source. More details at my page
http://andregarzia.com/page/socialsuite

So be happy with your tweets. The next library being implemented is
Dropbox, check this teaser: http://fon.nu/lc-dropbox

Cheers
andre

--