the mousecolor

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sun Jan 8 14:21:26 EST 2012

Hi Mike:

You need to do things a little differently.  Try the following...

Set up some kind of a trigger to start/stop the color tracking.  This can be anything but I'll use a button with it's autoHilite property disabled just for simplicity.

on mouseUp
    set the hilite of me to not the hilite of me
    if the hilite of me then
        set the cursor to cross
        set the lockCursor to true
        trackColor
    end if
end mouseUp

command trackColor
   If not the hilite of me then
       set the lockCursor to false
       exit trackColor
   end if
   get the mouseColor
   set the backgroundColor of graphic "Little" to it
   if keysDown() is not empty then set the backgroundColor of graphic "Big" to it
   send "trackColor" to me in 50 millisecs
end trackColor

The above should start color tracking when the button is pressed, and stop when the button is pressed again.

Your script was not working because the mouseMove message is really only sent when the cursor is within LiveCode windows, so you need to use a looping script ("send trackColor" in this case) that can be terminated by some action (second button press).

Hope this helps.

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX Design