Windows Standalone Does Not Have an App Menu

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Wed Jan 4 20:51:08 EST 2012

Gregory-

> If this is a convention on Windows

This is a convention on any OS I'm aware of.

> then I don’t see how it promotes or meets expectations.

The expectation is your following sentence:

> If I can start something up, I expect that I should be able to see
> how to shut it down.

If you remove the close button from the window then you have to supply
something else for the user, no?

As Richard and Jacque pointed out, if you create nonstandard OS
windows you have to craft your own ways of handling them. A simple
button that says "Close" or "Quit" or "Done" or something in the app
would do the trick if you don't want to follow the standards.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net