Simplest method for determining "changes made" on a form/card

Tereza Snyder tereza at califex.com
Wed Jan 4 13:37:01 EST 2012

Here’s what I would try:

Assuming you have a handler that takes the data from your database and distributes it to the controls on the card, and another that gathers the data from the card to stow it in the database, I’d compute an MD5digest of the data in the first handler, and create another MD5digest from the gathered card data in the second handler. If the two don’t match, the data has changed, and I’d ask the user "…save changes…?".

--
Tereza Snyder
Califex Software, Inc.